Bed Bug Prevention
With bed bugs on the rise in the United States, including Southern California and Riverside County, it isn’t any surprise that there is a concern of bringing bed bugs home and introducing a bed bug infestation into your residence. This article will discuss a few tips and important need-to-know facts when it comes to bed bug prevention.
How Bed Bugs Spread
Bed bugs are considered “hitchhikers”, much like other blood feeders, such as fleas and ticks. Bed bugs crawl onto clothing, furniture, used carpets, inside belongings (luggage and backpacks) and are instantly transported to a new location.
Sources of Bed Bug Infestation
- Rental furniture
- Second-hand furniture
- Reconditioned mattresses
- Moving vans
Preventing a Bed Bug Infestation
The fear of bed bugs should not prevent you from purchasing used furniture from yard sales or staying hotels. Instead, you should arm yourself with the right tools and become educated about real threats. Below are some bed bug prevention tips that you can do to insure that you do not inadvertently pick up a bed bug hitchhiker.
- Inspect seams and tufts of mattresses for bed bugs and bed bug evidence (blood spots), paying particular attention to the areas closer to the head of the bed
- Keep luggage closed, sealed and away from the bed
- Launder items immediately upon returning home
- Inspect luggage for bed bugs (bed bugs are least likely to hide on hard cases compared to soft luggage cases)
- Avoid rescuing discarded furniture from the roadside, especially mattresses and beds
- Be careful when purchasing used or refurbished furniture such as: headboards, nightstands, box springs and bed frames. Be sure to inspect them thoroughly before moving them into your home
- Launder any used fabrics, such as blankets and linens, immediately in hot water
By following the above bed bug prevention tips and recommendations, you will feel more comfortable when traveling and purchasing used furniture. If you have further questions or wish to schedule an bed bug inspection please call our office at (951) 652-0505 and we will be happy to assist you.